Everyone gets angry. Everyone has moments where anger seems to control them, moments where anger inspires them to do things they wouldn’t otherwise do. Some of this is natural. Anger is simply an emotion that everyone has to deal with. It’s not even always a bad thing. Sometimes it can inspire us to take action in ways that we otherwise wouldn’t. Sometimes it can inspire social justice or it can help us stand up for ourselves.
Some people have anger issues, however, and they need to seek professional anger management help. So how do you know if you are just dealing with a natural amount of anger or you are one of those people who needs professional help? There are a few things you will start to notice about yourself that may mean you need to seek professional help. These are all good questions to ask yourself:
- Do you frequently have physical manifestations of anger that result in the destruction of property or violence against yourself or others?
- Do you have a lot of verbal rage reactions including temper tantrums or verbal abuse?
- Do you have repressed anger that is never expressed until it builds and builds and builds and explodes?
- Do you have a lot of long-term resentment that you think about often?
- Do you tend to obsess over your anger or situations that have made you angry?
- Do you manipulate or intimidate others in a response to anger?
- Do you often become overwhelmed due to your anger?
If you can answer yes to any of these questions, you may need to seek professional help. If you can answer yes to two or more of these questions, you definitely need to seek professional help.
The first step towards getting the help that you need is identifying that you have a problem. If you feel like anger is controlling your life, it may be time to take a step back and really decide to put yourself back in the driver’s seat. You don’t want to let anger and rage control your life.